Labelling Guidelines as per FSSAI
In a hurry to get the FSSAI Certificate? Fill up this form, or click here or call Kapish at +91-9971770603 & +91-9711994042
The FSSAI had drafted the Food Safety and Standards (Labelling and Display) Regulations 2019. These regulations prescribe the labelling requirements of pre-packaged foods and display of essential information on premises where food is manufactured, processed, served and stored. These regulations may be called the Food Safety and Standards (Packaging and labelling) Regulations, 2011. These regulations came into force on or after 5th August, 2011
General Packaging Requirements
Containers made of plastic materials should conform to the following Indian Standards Specification, used as appliances or receptacles for packing or storing whether partly or wholly, food articles namely:
- IS : 10146 (Specification for Polyethylene in contact with foodstuffs)
- IS : 10142 (Specification for Styrene Polymers in contact with foodstuffs)
- IS : 10151 (Specification for Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC), in contact with foodstuffs)
- IS : 10910 (Specification for Polypropylene in contact with foodstuffs)
- IS : 11434 (Specification for Ionomer Resins in contact with foodstuffs)
- IS: 11704 Specification for Ethylene Acrylic Acid (EAA) copolymer
- IS: 12252 - Specification for Poly alkylene terephathalates (PET)
- IS: 12247 - Specification for Nylon 6 Polymer
- IS: 13601 - Ethylene Vinyl Acetate (EVA)
- IS: 13576 - Ethylene Metha Acrylic Acid (EMAA)
- Tin and plastic containers once used, shall not be re-used for packaging of edible oils and fats.
General packaging requirements for Canned products
- All containers shall be securely packed and sealed.
- The exterior of the cans shall be free from major dents, rust, perforations, and seam distortions.
- Cans shall be free from leaks.
Product Specific requirements
Juices, squashes, crush, cordials, syrups, barley waters and other beverages shall be packed in clean bottles securely sealed. These products when frozen and sold in the form of ice shall be packed in suitable cartons. Juices and Pulps may be packed in wooden barrels when sulphited.
For Tomato Ketchups and Sauces, clean bottles shall be used. If acidity does not exceed 0.5% as acetic acid, open top sanitary cans may also be used.
Manner of declaration
Every declaration which is required to be made on package under these regulations shall be legible and prominent, definite, plain, and unambiguous.
Conspicuous as to size number and colour, as far as practicable, in such style or type of lettering as to be boldly, clearly, and conspicuously present in distinct contrast to the other type, lettering or graphic material used on the package, and shall be printed or inscribed on the package in a colour that contrasts conspicuously with the background of the label.
Where a package is provided with an outside container or wrapper, such container or wrapper shall also contain all the declarations which are required to appear on the package except where such container or wrapper itself is transparent and the declarations on the package are easily readable through such outside container or wrapper.
Labels not to contain false or misleading statements.
The area of principal Display panel shall not be less than
In the case of a rectangular container, forty percent of the product of height and width of the panel of such container having the largest area.
In case of cylindrical or nearly cylindrical, round or nearly round, oval or nearly oval container, twenty percent of the product of the height and average circumference of such container; or In the case of container of any other shape, twenty percent of the total surface area of the container except where there is label, securely affixed to the container, such label shall give a surface area of not less than ten percent of the total surface area of the container.
Provided that in the case of package having a capacity of five cubic centimetres or less, the principal display panel may be card or tape affixed firmly to the package or container and bearing the required information under these regulations.
High level labelling guidelines:
Labelling requirement in case of pre-packaged food (or pre-packed food), including multi-piece packages Eight mandatory data on the product labels are required when goods enter India.
The following data must be mentioned on imprints (and not on stickers) when the goods arrive at the border. If the data are not written on the labels, the goods cannot be imported.
- Name of the product.
- Manufacturer’s name and address.
- Date of Manufacture (production date).
- Lot/Batch number.
- List of Ingredients (in descending order – not required in case of a single ingredient);
- Net quantity (volume content) /] Gross wt
- Best consumed before, or Use by date, or Date of Expiry (not necessary if % of alcohol > 10%).
- Importers FSSAI License number and log
- Customer care info.
- Importers Name & Address.
- Veg/non-veg-logo (not needed for alcoholic beverages).
- COO (made in xxx)
- Allergens advise.
- Declaration regarding Food Additives, colours and/or Flavours
- Instructions for use
- Please note that the MRP need to be printed on the package.
- Products selling as a pack should have a disclaimer not to be sold separately.
- Nutritional Information (values).
- For alcoholic beverages, along with nutritional information note % of alcohol must be mentioned.
Need FSSAI registration? Fill up this form, or click here or Get in touch with us at email@example.com or call Kapish at +91-9971770603 & +91-9711994042
In today's fast-paced global marketplace, businesses need a logistics partner they can trust to handle their shipping needs efficiently and cost-effectively. That's where we come in - our logistics services offer a comprehensive range of solutions to meet your unique shipping requirements. Whether you're a small business looking to grow or a large corporation with complex shipping needs, we have the experience and expertise to help you succeed. Contact us today to learn more about our customized freight solutions and experience the difference our logistics services can make for your business.