Introduction of Bureau of India Standards (BIS)
In a hurry to get the BIS ? Fill up this form , or click here or call Kapish at +91-9971770603 & +91-9811803136
BIS (Bureau of Indian Standard) is the National Standard Body of India established under the BIS Act 2016 for the harmonious development of the activities of standardization, marking, which recognizes the Manufacturer / Importer / Seller according to the Indian Standard by the Indian Government for the quality and safety of any product.
The BIS department provides following type of Certifications:
1. BIS Registration /CRS
BIS -CRS certificate is issued to the manufacturer for IT and Electronic products after the notice of the BIS department over the safety test done as per the Indian standard.
76 products (IT and Electronics) identified by the BIS department are covered for BIS-CRS registration which requires a BIS registration certificate and is applicable to all foreign manufacturers and Indian manufacturer and Importer.
Validity and Renewal:
BIS-CRS certificate is granted for first time 2 Year, and if after 2 year the Importer/ Manufacturer wants to renew his product then can renew for 2 year - 5 years.
2. BIS Certification / ISI Mark
The ISI mark is a standards-compliance mark for the industrial products in India. The mark certifies that a product confirms to an Indian standard (IS) developed by the Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS), the national standards body of India.
371 products identified by the BIS department are covered for BIS-ISI Certification which requires a BIS certification and is applicable to all foreign manufacturers and Indian manufacturer and Importer.
Validity and Renewal:
• The license is granted initially for a period of not less than one year and up to two years.
• The renewal of license may be considered for a period of not less than one year and up to five years depending upon whether the annual license fee and advance minimum marking fee has been paid for.
• If the renewal application is made after the validity of the license, the application shall be accompanied by the late fee of rupees five thousand.
3. BIS-Hall marking
It is a certification of purity of Jewelry (Gold, Silver) articles in accordance with Indian Standard Specifications. It has been acting as a safeguard to the purchasers of gold and Silver its articles for centuries.
A jeweler desirous to sell Hallmarked gold jewelry/artefacts is required to obtain a registration from BIS for any premises of a sales outlet. The registration is granted to a jeweler for particular premises if the application in prescribed format along with necessary documents is found in order and payment of requisite fees and signing of an agreement for operating the license by the jeweler jointly with BIS. In case the jeweler is also desirous to sell Hallmarked silver jewelry/artefacts another registration shall be obtained from BIS by submitting a separate application.
After grant of license, the jeweler has to follow the terms and conditions mentioned in the agreement. Deviations in purity of precious metal (gold and/or silver) and observance of operations not in conformance to stated requirements may result in cancellation of the license. Proceedings for penalties may also be initiated by BIS.
On 29th November 2019, the MCAFDP announced that with effect from 15th January 2020, the BIS Hallmark Certification would be mandatory for all items of jewelry that are sold in India.
What are the Benefits of getting BIS-CRS Registration through Cargosite Ventures Pvt. Ltd. ?
Reviewing the current level of security standards and other required areas for obtaining BIS certifications.
• Assistance in preparations of BIS testing standards and establishing the required documents.
• Assistance in collating the information and documents for filing BIS application.
• Preparation, filing of application, and providing clarifications from time to time required by BIS Authorities.
• Independent internal review to check the Security Standards and compliance level with other requirements.
• Suggesting improvement areas before physical verification by BIS Authorities.
• Assistance during physical verification by BIS Authorities.
• Following up with BIS Authorities till obtaining the BIS Certificate.
• Assistance in Compliance with BIS Status Requirements.
Labeling guidelines for BIS Certified products: -
Most products and equipment are required to be marked with specific safety-related information and meet permanency of marking requirements. These markings can include electrical ratings, use instructions, warnings regarding potential safety hazards, and cautionary markings. Compliance with permanency of marking requirements helps ensure that the labels will adhere to the application surface, and that the text will remain legible for the product’s intended use.
The Marking Label must be clear on every product which cannot be removed, cannot be scratched and cannot be washed off by normal efforts. It is advised to emboss or print marking label on the product. Printed metal plate of the marking label well fixed on product can also be a good option.
The requirements for e-labelling are as given below:
- Devices utilizing e-labels shall have a physical label on the packaging of the product at the time of import, storage for sale and sale or distribution. For devices in bulk and not packaged individually, a removable adhesive label on the packaging is acceptable.
- Devices shall not require any special accessory/tool or supplemental plug-in (e.g., the installation of a SIM/USIM card) to access the e-label.
- The compliance related information shall be programmed by the responsible party and the information shall be secured in such a manner that third-party cannot modify it. The information can be in the firmware or software menu provided it is easily accessible and cannot be modified.
- Users shall be able to access the information without requiring special access codes or permissions and, in all cases the information shall be accessible in no more than four steps in a device’s menu.
- Users shall be provided specific instructions on how to access the information. The instructions shall be included in the user’s manual, operating instructions, or as an insert in the package of the product, or other similar means.
- Alternately, the instructions to access the information may be available on the product related website. The instructions on how to access the website shall be provided in the user’s manual or package of the product.
- All the applicable regulatory information required on the packaging or user manual shall be provided according to the applicable rules even if it is displayed electronically.
- If the primary user manual or user guide is provided by other electronic media (e.g., CD or online access) this information may also be provided as part of e-label.
- The “Standard Mark” displayed electronically shall meet all the relevant requirements of the guidelines issued by BIS vide circular reference CMD 3/8:1/6975 dated 3 Dec 2015.
The following information should be mentioned below in the marking label of the product:-
• Name of Product
• Model Number
• Brand Name
• Power Rating (Input / Output)
• Name of Manufacturer
• Made in Country Name
• Use instructions
For more details on products of BIS kindly go through the link below: